From the early 1900's on the
notable machines from the Cleckheaton based
firm had found a ready market. In World War
One they fully lived up to their reputation
by doing excellent service, mainly with sidecar
combinations for Royal Flying Corps service.
After the war the company soldiered on for
some years with the old style of engine design;
but for the 1924 season things were really
going to change.
The Panther trademark came into
use and the catalogue boasted A great Leap
forward! and that was truly so: the famous
Granville Bradshaw had been commissioned to
design a new model. What had stayed was the
sloping position of the engine, acting as
part of the frame. Totally new was the engine
layout: with bore and stroke dimensions of
84x90 mm the capacity was 499 cc. The engine
had overhead valves and dry sump lubrication.
The pushrods were enclosed in
a single plated tube and the rockers worked
inside an enclosed box. The sump was cast
integral with the crank cases. It really was
an advanced design. The motor was coupled
to a four speed gearbox, which was made for
P&M by local tractor builders David Brown.
The machine came in three forms, the Sports
model, the Continental model with pillion
seat and Zenith carburettor with twist grip
control and the Touring model with completely
enclosed chains and CAV electric lighting
to name just a few features.
Please e-mail the webmaster if you have a
picture worth adding to our database, e-mail:
Motorbike Search Engine