GoogleCustom Search

D-K Classic Motorcycles


    German engineer Gottlieb Daimler is credited with building the world's first motorcycle, the wooden-framed Einspur that was first ridden by his son Paul in 1885. Daimler had no great interest in motorcycles, and shortly afterwards abandoned the project to concentrate on automobile development.


    Bike Image Description
    1960 Dayton Flamenco Dayton Flamenco 175cc villiers engine,12 volt dyno start.


    Bike Image Description
    1938 Dingwell Invalid Carriage De Luxe Dingwell Invalid Carriage Registration - FHU 191. Motorised invalid carriage. Powered by a 147cc Villiers Mk XI engine.

    Dawson Motor Worls (DMW)

    Certainly the most stylish of the smaller Brotosh makes after the Second World War, DMW incorporated many clever touches into their motorcycles, which were made at Dudley in the West Midlands. The initials stand for Dawson's Motor Works, the founder of the company being Smokey Dawson, a speedway and grass-track rider.

    Like so many Midland bike makers, most DMWs were powered by Villiers 2-stroke engines, their most notable model being the Dolomite 250 twin. Although road model production officially ended in 1966, the Wolves firm continued to make trials bikes on a limited edition basis.

    Bike Image Description
    1951 DMW M200 DMW M200 197cc,

    De Luxe

    The De Luxe motorcycle built by A.G. Healings in the 1916-1919 period is a good example of this philosophy. The De Luxe motor, built by the F.W. Spacke Machine Co., Indiana USA, was widely used in Australia in the 1916 - 1920 period, not just by Healings and the smaller "manufacturers" they supplied, but also by Hercules and others. Of course the motor was also used in a number of US makes, such as Dayton, Crawford, Eagle and De Luxe (no relation to the Healing machine).

    Bike Image Description
    1916 De Luxe 1916 De Luxe c1916 single speed, direct belt drive


    Bike Image Description
    1929 Dresch MS 601, 250cc 1929 Dresch MS 601, 250cc

    DS Matlerre

    Bike Image Description
    1920 DS Malterre DS Malterre


    Factory founded 1867 by Nikolaus Dürkopp, producing motorcycles before the turn of the century. Motorcycle manufacture ceased between 1912 and 1927. Production of all motorcycles and scooters ended in 1961 as sewing machines were proving more profitable.

    In the 1920's the Dürkopp automobile factory employed over 6000 workers building a range of cars which included models from 1500cc to over 6 litres.

    Bike Image Description
    1957 Durkopp Diana, 1940cc Durkopp In 1954 Dürkopp built the Diana scooter, a relatively luxurious unit with electric start and a four-speed gearbox for its 200cc two-stroke engine. Production of this model ended in 1961.
    1961 Durkopp Diana, 200cc Durkopp Diana

    E Fontaine

    Bike Image Description
    1906 E Fontaine Havre, 350cc 1906 E Fontaine Havre, 350cc This interesting early machine was made in Le Havre, probably by a Mr. E Fontaine. The frame and engine number suggests it was built in 1906, which very well fits in with the general layout of the mechanics. Very little is known of this make: the machine is well-built and equippped with a sturdy engine with mechanically operated valves and coil ignition.


    Looking like a large, wingless glider, the Ecomobile produced by Swiss engineer Arnold Wagner was one on the most unusual machines on two wheels. The first versions, produced in 1982, held a BMW flat-twin engine in the Kevlar/fibreglass monocoque body. In 1988 the design was uprated using the four-cylinder K100 engine, giving the streamlined Ecomobile a top speed of over 150mph (241kph).


    Swiss engineer Fritz Egli has built chassis, invariably featuring his trademark large-diameter steel spine frame, for a huge variety of engines since starting with the Vincent V-twin on which he became Swiss racing champion in the late 1960s. In the 1970s he turned to four-cylinder Hondas and Kawasakis and his bikes were highly successful in endurance racing. In recent years he has produced his first Harley Davidson special. And as the Swiss and Austrian importer of Enfield Bullets, he tuned the Indian-made single's engine and uprated its chassis to produce the considerably improved Swiss Finish Bullet.

    Bike Image Description
    2007-08 Elgi-Vincent Elgi-Vincent Hand-built from new by Hailwood Motorcycle Restorations.


    Bike Image Description
    1951 Eijsink Tandem VAP 1951 Eijsink Tandem VAP


    The string of racebikes backed by French petrochemicals giant Elf were some of the most innovative of recent years, all using non-telescopic suspension of various designs. Radical early models such as the Honda-powered Elf E endurance racer of 1981 pioneered features including carbon firbe disc brakes. In 1985 Elf moved into using a more conventional forkless chassis. Despite a works V-four engine, British rider Ron Haslam could never make the Elf 3 truly competitive, and Elf pulled out after the 1988 season. Honda's involvement yielded benefits including development of the single-sided swing arm found on many recent roadsters.

    El Tigre

    Bike Image Description
    1970 El Tigre MX90 El Tigre MX90 Sold by the JC Penny company. bike where made my the same company that made the Steen. It has a 90 cc Fuji engine with a chamber.


    Bike Image Description
    1916 Emblem Little Twin, 600cc 1916 Emblem Little Twin, 600cc


    EMW was an East German manufacturer of automobiles and motorcycles based in Eisenach. After WW2 one of the BMW factories was located in the eastern sector and was taken over by the Soviets. The factory continued producing cars and motorcycles under the BMW brand, but after a lawsuit in 1952 they changed the name to EMW instead. The logotype was also similar, but instead of the blue BMW used, EMW used red.

    Bike Image Description
    1952 EMW R35 EMW R35 342cc.
    1953 EMW R35-3 1953 EMW R35-3

    Ernst MAG

    Bike Image Description
    1927 Ernst MAG 1927 Ernst MAG


    Bike Image Description
    1919 Evans Power-Cycle 119cc Evans Power-Cycle The 119cc Evans Power-Cycle was manufactured by the CycleMotor Corporation between 1919 and 1924, both as a complete machine and as a separate cycle-attachment engine. Various Evans motorcycles were exported to Europe.

    After CycleMotor ceased production around 1924, manufacture passed to Stock-Motorpflug A.G in Berlin, who made them until 1933 under license and sold them under the name ‘Stock.’ Tax records from Berlin show Stock was only in business from 1924 - 1933. Later models had a 3hp engine with shaft drive.

    The Evans was marketed in Great Britain too. By the mid-twenties, however, motorcycle design had improved and prices had been greatly reduced for lightweight motorcycles; even small cars were now sold for under £100. As their production costs were high, cyclemotor manufacturers could not compete, and the era of cyclemotors and cycle-attachments came to an end (just as it did in 1955 with the introduction of the first mopeds).

    Image kindly provided by

    FA Helgers

    Bike Image Description
    1950 FA Helgers Laura moped 1950 FA Helgers Laura moped 50cc.


    This obscure make hailed from Dublin and was assembled using British components in order to avoid the tariff that existed on imported bikes in the 1930s. It was only around for 1935-36.

    There was just one model which had a 148cc twin-port Villiers engine which was inclined forward a little in the frame, which was made by Diamond Motors. The price was £27 but it seems few were sold.


    German racer-engineer Helmut Fath's greatest achievement came not in 1960, when he eon the world sidecar championship for the first time, but eight years later, whe he returned from serious injury to regain the title on a machine he had designed and built himself. The URS, named after Fath's village of Ursenbach, was a 500cc DOHC transverse four that revved to 15,000rpm and produced a reported 80bhp. The URS was also raced as a solo using chassis from Seeley and Metisse, most successfully in 1969 by veteran German Karl Hoppe. After selling his team to Friedel Munch, Fath built a powerful 500cc flat-four two-stroke engine that was raced in both solo and sidecar classes in the 1970s.


    Bike Image Description
    1929 Favor 1929 Favor
    1947 Favor Le Poulain 1947 Favor Le Poulain Image supplied by


    Millions of people shopped at the Co-op and collected dividend stamps in the 1930s and for a while put up the money for a range of motorcycles. These were built at the Federal Works in Tyeseley, Birmingham, and were sold under that name.

    The bikes were much as others at the time, with JAP engines, Burman three-speed gearboxes and conventional lines. There were just 4 models listed for 1930 and only one with ohv. This was the 346cc model 4 and its partner was the 3, with the same engine size engine but side valves. Slightly smaller was the 300cc model 2 and larger was the 498cc model 5.

    For 1931 the 3 and 4 models continued but a revised 490cc engine went into the 5. It was joined by an ohv version of the same capacity which became the 6. To complete the range a model with a V-twin engine for sidecar work was introduced. This was the 7 with a 677cc side-valve JAP engine. After 1937 the Co-op dropped two-wheelers and concentrated on groceries.


    Bike Image Description
    Ferrari 1929 Favor


    The Flandria cie was one of the biggest motorcycle, moped and bicycle companies close to Bruges, Belgium. The cie was a family business Clayes but they made a lot of other things (stoves,children's threewheelers, buggys, invalid cars, scooters and even a car.There came a split in the family business with a new marque Superia all from the Claeys family. They deliver all over Europe, also the north of Africa and USA.

    Bike Image Description
    1976 Flandria Moped 1976 Flandria Moped Belgium built A. Claeys - Flandria Sports Moped.


    Bike Image Description
    1935 Gazelle onbekend, 125cc 1935 Gazelle onbekend, 125cc

    Genial Lucifer

    Bike Image Description
    1935 Genial-Lucifer Type GZ12 ‘La Motoreinette’ 1935 Genial-Lucifer Type GZ12 ‘La Motoreinette’

    This is a very attractive machine which is extremely rare anywhere in the world. In France a pedal-start motorcycle like this is called a BMA ("Bicyclette-Moteur-Auxiliaire").

    Image provided by


    Bike Image Description
    1906 Givaudan, 350cc 1906 Givaudan, 350cc


    It would seem that Triumph were so ashamed of their cut-price lightweight that they used a marquee name derived from their car side for it. The Gloria name went on a number of cars over the years but the motorcycle was the real bottom of the range. It first appeared in 1932 but disappeared after only two years.


    GMS Motorcycles were a manufacturer of 250 cc racing motorcycles, and were owned by Geoff Monty, a motorbike racer.


    Bike Image Description
    1955 Goggo Scooer 200/II 1955 Goggo Scooer 200/II

    The Goggo scooter is considered a fifties icon in Germany. Surprisingly, though, it's not very well known in the UK. The company stopped making the scooters to concentrate on the equally fabulous Goggomobil cars.

    1955 Goggo 200/II Goggo Scooer Goggo's are incredibly popular in Germany and sell for very good money indeed and are extremely rare in the UK (you wont see another one). If you appreciate very rare and unusual vehicles then this should be the scooter for you. It is one of the larger engined 200cc models


    Bike Image Description
    1975 Gori 125 Gori


    Although the Grigg factory only operated between 1920-1925 it produced a wide variety of models ranging from a scooter up to a motorcycle with a 990cc V-twin side valve engine. Griggs were popular with sidecar owners.

    Bike Image Description
    1922 Grigg 1.75hp Grigg  


    Grindlay Peerless

    This company, in motorcycle business from 1923 till 1934, originally was a factory for sidecars. Sleeve valve Barr& Stroud engines were employed, but most often used were various types of JAP and Villiers engines. In later years also the Rudge-built Python four-valve engines were used; the Rudge factory was just a few hundred yards away. Many speed records were broken by JAP engined Grindlay_Peerless machines, and they were very successful in road races and hill climbs.

    Bike Image Description
    1926 Grindlay Peerless 02 Sports, 350cc 1926 Grindlay Peerless 02 Sports, 350cc


    Bike Image Description
    1954 Gripen 1954 Gripen 440cc 44cc, 1 Bhp. Gripen's are quite rare (even in Sweden) as they were only manufactured in 1953 & 1954. This bike has the optional sprung forks and larger (44cc instead of 40cc) engine


    This machine was made by the Carlton company for George Grose, a large retail dealer at Ludgate Circuis in London. Like the Carlton it had a 122cc Villiers engine with three-speed gearbox. It first appeared in 1938 and continued through 1939 and into 1940 unchanged until production ceased. Neither was revived after the war.


    R.A. Harding was a company based in Bath, well-established pre-war as a manufacturer of ‘bath chairs.’ Like Kendrick of Reading, they also dabbled with TWS (Two-Wheeled Steering) tricycles, though the Harding models had 18" front wheels. In 1956 they marketed their TWS tricycle with a Cyclemaster engine fitted.

    The company was established in 1921 by Mr. J. Gordon and Mr. E. Loxley. For the company, they used the maiden name of Mr. Loxley’s wife.

    In the early years, they made a greater variety of invalid carriages than any other manufacturer. By 1930 they offered 8 different models. They built invalid carriages for the government during WW2, but found it hard to compete with AC when that company moved into the market. Their motorized tricycles ceased production by the early 1950’s, though their tricycle range continued.

    Bike Image Description
    1956 Harding Model C TWS Tricycle
    Harding Model C TWS Tricycle

    Motorized with 26cc Cyclemaster engine.

    But this ridiculous contraption dates from 1956. Cyclemaster Ltd was trying to stay afloat in a dying market - the new-fangled 'mo-peds' were much more efficient than old-fashioned cyclemotors. So I assume they were desperate enough to try this joint effort with R.A. Harding of Bath to supply ready-made motorized three-wheelers. But there was really no excuse for producing such a white elephant.

    Image provided courtesey of


    Bike Image Description
    1952 Haza Diesel Moped 1952 Haza Diesel Moped


    Hazelwoods Ltd were initially cycle builders in Coventry. Motorcycle production started in 1905 and continued until 1923. Many were exported and there appear to be very few survivors now.

    Bike Image Description
    1912 Hazelwood 300cc JAP engine 1912 Hazelwood 300cc JAP engine

    This is the only known survivor of this model.


    This autocycle first appeared at the Earls Court in 1938 and was mad by the Hepburn Engineering Company of King's Cross, London. It differed in a number of ways and not least by using an 80cc engine of its own design but manufactured for them by Levis. During the war HEC merged with Levis and turned to making air compressors.


    Bike Image Description
    1957 Her-cu-Motor with 49cc JAP engine 1957 Her-cu-Motor with 49cc JAP engine

    The Hercumotor was the first all-British moped.


    Bike Image Description
    1957 Hermes Scooter Hermes Scooter


    Hilderbrand & Wolfmuller

    The world's first motorcycle to achieve series production was the 1488cc four-stroke built by brothers Heinrich and Wilhelm Hilderbrand, and Alois Wolfmuller. Starting in 1894, the Munich-based partnership produced about 1000 examples of the water-cooled parallel twin, which developed 2.5bhp and had a top speed of 25mph (40kph). Normal braking was by a steel spoon that pressed on the front tyre, supplemented if necessary by a large rear bar that could be released to dig into the road. Motorcycling's rapid development at that time meant the twin soon became outdated and production ended in 1897.


    Hirondelle machines were made by the Manufacture Francaise d'Armes et Cycles de Saint-Etienne. That explains the MF logo on the timing cover. The Hirondelle (Swallow, pointing to a light, swift and agile machine! ) was related to the Deronziere machines that were made in Lyon from 1907 till 1920. Typical feature is the belt adjusting system that can be operated by the left handlebar grip. Ignition by a very trustworthy Bosch magneto. Direct belt drive to the rear wheel, as was customary with many machines at that time.

    Bike Image Description
    1914 Hirondelle Legere 21, 332cc 1914 Hirondelle Legere 21, 332cc Hirondelle 1914 model Legère 332 cc side valve single frame & engine # 2027


    Colonel Sir Henry Capel Holden was one of the great characters of motorcycling's pioneering years. He designed the world's first four-cylinder motorbike, a 1054cc water-cooled flat-four that was built in Coventry between 1899 and 1902. The four-stroke engine produced 3bhp, giving the bicycle-style Holden a top speed of about 25mph (40kph). Colonel Holden went on to design Brooklands, the world's first purpose-built race circuit, in 1906.


    IFA, was a conglomerate and a union of companies for vehicle construction in East Germany. IFA produced bicycles, motorcycles, light commercial vehicles, automobiles, vans and heavy trucks.

    All East German vehicle manufacturers, like Trabant, Wartburg, Barkas, Robur, Multicar, Simson or MZ were part of the IFA.

    Bike Image Description
    1954 IFA BK350 1954 IFA BK350 350cc


    This marque had its home at the FrancisBarnett factory at Coventry from 1913, when Barnett-designed motorcycles were produced with 269cc two-stroke engines from Villiers. Later bigger motorcycles were made with Abingdon and JAP engines, but production folded in 1923.

    Iver Johnson Arms & Cycle Works

    In 1871 Iver Johnson joined Martin Bye to form the Johnson Bye & Company, merging his own (1841-1895) and Martin Bye's gunsmithing operations. During this period, Johnson and Bye filed for and received several new firearms features and firearms feature improvement patents. Their primary revenues came from the sale of their self designed and manufactured inexpensive models of revolvers. Not much is known about Martin Bye, as there is very little documented information about his life. However, there is more documented information on Johnson. Iver Johnson is documented as having immigrated to Worcester, Massachusetts from Norway in 1863 at the height of the American Civil War, a time when gunsmithing was a welcome skill in the country. Johnson was a gunsmith by trade at the time, but also worked as an inventor in his spare time, which would come in handy later on as he sought new and creative uses for his partially idle manufacturing equipment, a thought process which would eventually lead him and his heirs to diversify the corporation's businesses. His early work involved not only gunsmithing locally in Worcester, MA, but it also included providing designs and work to other firearms companies (notable Allen & Wheelock for whom he made so-called "[pepperbox]" pistols). He married Ms. Mary Elizabeth Adams on April 9th, 1868, in Worcester, with whom he had 3 sons and 2 daughters over the next several years.

    Little is known of Martin Bye. He and Johnson filed jointly for and were awarded multiple patents together, mostly related to firearms designs, beginning in 1876. The company's name changed to Iver Johnson & Company in 1883 upon Johnson's purchase of Bye's interest in the firm. Bye continued to work in the firearm industry for the remainder of his life.

    The company's name changed again to Iver Johnson Arms & Cycle Works in 1891, when the company relocated to Fitchburg, Massachusetts, (sometimes incorrectly referred to as "Fitzburg") in order to have better and larger manufacturing facilities. The Iver Johnson Complex, as it is known today, resembles other abandoned Industrial Revolution-era properties in New England. As has been the trend, the complex is often a target for real estate developers who intend to exploit its buildings' industrial brick aesthetics and open floor plans to create retail, residential, or other types of usable space.

    Iver Johnson died in 1895, and his sons took over the business. Frederick (born 10/2/1871), John (born 6/26/1876), and Walter (birthdate unknown), had vastly different levels of involvement in the company ranging from executive leadership to barely any involvement at all.
    They shepherded the company through a phase of expansion, as bicycle operations grew, then converted to motorcycle manufacturing and sales. They also saw the growth of the firearms business and the eventual restructuring of the company to focus on firearms and related business as they divested non-firearms concerns, such as the motorcycle business, in the face of growing firearms demand, World War I's armaments industry expansion, and other factors.
    As family ownership waned and outside investment via publicly traded stock and mergers/acquisitions/partnerships took hold, the company changed ownership and moved several times during its operation. The company eventually dropped "Cycle Works" from its moniker when that part of the business was shut down.

    The business successfully weathered the Great Depression (in part thanks to higher rates of armed robbery crimes, which helped maintain demand for personal firearms) and was buoyed by the dramatic increase in the market for arms leading up to and during World War II.

    As a result of changes in ownership, the company had the first of two major relocations in 1971 when it moved to New Jersey. It moved again to Jackson, Arkansas, before it finally ceased trading under its own name in 1993, at which time it was owned by American Military Arms Corp (AMAC).JH


    The Ixion company folded in the late 1920s but the name was revived in 1930 but only by New Hudson to clear stocks of a slow-selling model. Once the existing stock was sold, the operation closed down and the Ixion name returned to oblivion.


    JES was established in 1910 in Gloucester, JES standing for J E Smith. They are probably best remembered for their range of lightweight machines that evolved from their clip on cycle engines first seen in 1914. The company continued under its own name until the twenties when it was taken over by the Connaught concern.

    Bike Image Description
    1921 Jes Motocyclette
    Jes Motocyclette This pretty little machine is believed to be a Model B, which was supplied as a complete machine, from 1921.



    James Hayward, who has previously worked in the Bradbury factory at Oldham, set up his own motorcycle manufacturing business at Oldham in 1913 building a range of machines powered by proprietary engines (Villiers, JAP and MAG).


    This was a prototype autocycle designed by G.H.Jones around 1936 and built in conjunction with the Villiers company. The design was offered to a number of smaller manufacturers and was taken up enthusiastically, at first by Raynal Auto and Excelsior and followed quickly by half a dozen more.


    Tito Jonghi and Giuseppe Remondi built fine 175-350cc singles in the 1930s. They also made small 2 stroke machines using proprietary engines. The company merged with Prester in 1936. After the War Jonghi built a succesful 125cc racebike and a number of 100-250cc two-stroke machines

    Postwar Italian two-wheeler production had a serious effect on the French motorcycle industry. Lambretta and Vespa scooters were the style icon of the fifties, and the French manufacturers fought hard to compete. But the main competition for French motorcycles was actually closer to home - the Citroen 2CV.

    Just as the wide range of functional cyclemotors (and regulations precluding licensing) helped to motorize a generation of French cyclists, as the 1950s progressed many motorcylists were beginning to upgrade not to bigger motorcycles, but to this new, economical small car that was marketed so well that its manufacturers had declared “The first words of every French child will be Mama, Papa and Citroen.”

    From 100 cars a month in 1948, by 1950 already 400 2Cv’s were produced daily. Many French motorcycle manufacturers merged, but the majority closed down: Jonghi produced their last machine in 1957.

    Bike Image Description
    1951 Jonghi Type E 125cc 1951 Jonghi Type E 125cc

    This Jonghi is a classic example of early fifties French styling.

    Image provided courtesey of


    Bike Image Description
    1963 Junak M10 Junak M10

    single-cylinder OHV four stroke

    bore 75mm, stroke 79mm
    cubic capacity 349ccm
    compression ratio 7.0 to1
    max power 19 hp at 6000 rpm
    dry-sump pressure lubrication


    Keating Wheel Company

    Bike Image Description
    1897 Keating 1897 Keating



    Bike Image Description
    1921 Kenilworth, 144cc 1921 Kenilworth, 144cc



    Talented engineer Antonio Cobas created many innovative racebikes in the late 1970s and early 1980s. The Spaniard's Rotax-engined 250cc racer of 1983 pioneered the use of a twin-beam aluminium frame with rising-rate rear suspension, adopted in recent years as the standard format for both racing and sports road machines.


    Bike Image Description
    1955 Krause Trumpf/3 1955 Krause Trumpf/3
    1960 Krause Picollo Trumpf Type 5

    Krause 49cc.


    Some of hte most exotic cafe racers of the 1980s were the Krausers that combined a tuned, flat-twin BMW engine with a intricate tubular styeel spaceframe. Mike Krauser's German firm, best known for bike luggage, also built a BMW-powered road-going sidecar, the Domani, whose chassis was based on that of a Grand Prix racing "worm" outfit. Krauser's racing exploits have ranged from long-standing sidecar involvement to the championship-winning 80cc Grand Orix racers of the mid-1980s.

    Please e-mail the webmaster if you have a picture worth adding to our database, e-mail: