1950 BSA 350cc Gold Star Model
The first post-war rangew of BSA motorcycles
included a 350cc model designated the B31. This
special Silver Star based motorcycle which had
evolved for the army. It was then modified and
designated the B32 and appeared at the first
post-war Earls Court Show as the model XB32.
The engines were very much in the 1939 style
with alloy barrels and heads and push rods passing
up an integral tunnel to rocker boxes cast in
with the heads.
These engines produced 24 bhp @ 6500 rpm and
were a great success, particularly in trials
form. However, it wasthe introduction of the
Clubman's TT races in 1947 that gave the Gold
Star its real chance to show what it was made
of. After a fairly mediocre first couple of
racesm, from 1949 onwards the class was absolutely
dominated by the B32 with eight successive victories.
Engine - 71 x 88mm, 348cc push rod OHV single
Transmission - Heavyweight M range gearbox
with speedometer drive from end of lay-shaft
and enclosed clutch operating lever.
Frame - Tubular cradle type with single
front down tube. Telescopic front forks with
hydraulic damping. Undamped plunger rear springing.
3 Gallon fuel tank