Ride the Harz Mountains,
Black Forest, the roads around the Nürburgring,
the Mosel Valley or along the Rhine this really
is biking nirvana. It's one of the few places
in Europe where you can ride a Hayabusa flat
out on public roads and not go to jail. The
roads out towards the east tend to be less
busy and offer some
amazing experiences. Most Germans aged less
than forty speak perfect English. Roads are
maintained with teutonic efficiency and even
in German the road signs and numbers are easy
There are speed limits on
some stretches of motorway and roadworks
can be strictly policed by radar and cameras.
Germans are good drivers and obey speed limits.
If there is no speed limit on the autobahn
you can go as fast
as you like. Wahey!
motorways and undertaking is illegal and they
don't like you doing it…
Be aware of tailgating andUSE
YOUR MIRRORS. Remember to use lane
green vans and silver/green saloons, speak
English and are very
courteous and polite.
Motorway signs are green,
ordinary road signs are yellow with the road
in a black box.
include Rollsplitt (loose chippings), Strassenschaden
road and temporary surface), Einbahnstrasse
(one way street), Umleitung
(diversion) Ausfahrt (exit).
(Bleifrei) Regular or Benzin is only 91octane
good enough. Use Super Unleaded (recommended)
95 or 98 octane.
Useful phrases (Phonetic)
- Motorcycle - MOTOR-RAT
- I've run out of petrol - ISH HARBOUR
KYNE BENT-SCENE MAYOR
- I need a repair garage - ISH BROW-KER
- Could you fix MY TYRE - KERR-NUN SEA
DANE RAY-FUN RAPPA-REAR-UN?
- Radiator - DARE COOH-LAIR
- Exhaust - DASS HOUSE-POOF-ROAR
- Carburettor - DARE FAIR-GAY-SIR
- Battery - DEE BATTEREE
- Petrol Tank - DARE BENT-SCENE-TANK
- Ignition - DEE SOON-DUNG
- Fan - DARE VENTILATOR
- Fuel pump - DEE TRIPE-STUFF-PUMPER
- Brake Disc - DEE BRUMS-SHY-BEAR
- Starter Motor - DARE START-MOATER
- Indicator - DARE BLINKER
- Oil Pump - DEE OOH-WELL-PUMPER
- Oil Filter - DASS OOH-WELL-FILTER
- It's Broken - ESS IST CARPUTT
- Police POLE - ITS - EYE
- 60, 80, 100 - ZEK-CIG, AKT-CIG, HUNDIRT
- Do you speak English? SHPREKEN ZEE ENGLISH
- Please/Pardon BITTER
- Thank you DANKER SHURN